I haven't had much time for blogging recently, too much exciting work going on at OsmocomBB:
- we now have simplistic support for Uplink (transmit) on SDCCH/4
- we have a minimal Layer2 (LAPDm) implementation
- we can send LOCATION UPDATING REQUEST to the network, and receive the respective response
- there's wireshark integration, i.e. all packets on the L1-L2 interface can be sent into wireshark for protocol analysis
There are still many limitations, but this is a major milestone in the project: We have working bi-directional communication from the phone to the network!
The limitations include:
- The cell has to use a combined CCCH (SDCCH/4 on timeslot 0)
- The cell has to use no encryption/authentication
- The layer2 is not finished, especially re-transmissions will not work yet
- There's no power control loop yet
- There's no timing advance correction
Also, the existence of a stable bi-directional communications channel between the network and the phone means that anyone interested in working on the higher layers can now actually do so. Completing and testing layer2 as well as RR/MM/CC on layer3 is a major task in itself, and it definitely requires the lower layers to be there.
The other good part is that development of layer2 and layer3 can happen entirely on the host PC, where debugging is much easier and there's no need for cross-compilation and we can use all the usual debugging options (gdb, valgrind, ...)
I'm now almost heading off for holidays (starting March 10), so don't expect any major progress from me anytime soon. I hope other interested developers will be able to take it from here and fill in some missing gaps until I'll get back.